Kelly George of Fearless Homeschool has the information and encouragement that you need to get started. Luckily, her module, Deschooling Essentials, is available as part of our bundle sale!
This resource is available to access immediately upon purchase and is split up into ten sections:1) Welcome: Deschooling Essentials starts with a quick, reassuring video and offers a short workbook. The 5-page PDF is designed to help you develop and examine your feelings about what school should look like.
2) Deschooling- the what and the why: This section discusses the questions “What is deschooling?” and “Why is it important?”
3) Helping your children deschool: Your child can have education-related baggage of their own! This section offers guidelines for how to help them work through it.
4) Activities to include in a deschooling period: Offers a list of great ideas to inform the rhythm of your deschooling days.
5) Using your school experience to deschool : Here, Kelly shares a great video discussing hers and her husband’s experiences in school. It’s quite vulnerable and lovely, and may encourage you to examine your own school experiences in order to inform the way you teach your children.
6) The Deschooling Handbook: This is a 27-page PDF debunking 13 pervasive myths about learning.
7) Deschooling workshop replay: Contains a 45-minute video of an online workshop previously filmed by Fearless Homeschool.
8) A note about critics: Criticism can come from family members, or it can come from strangers at the grocery store (why do they do that??). Either way, Kelly is here to help you prepare.
9) Summary + extra resources: Remember what you’ve learned and peruse some suggested links.
10) Continuing your homeschooling journey: The last section contains a closing video and a credit towards the rest of Fearless Homeschool’s Zero to Homeschool course, of which Deschooling Essentials is the first module.
The curriculum is written to a new homeschooling parent who’s just pulled their kid from traditional school. However, the advice contained would be helpful to any parent looking for guidance or inspiration in their homeschooling. In fact, in her closing video, Kelly points out that returning to this module can be helpful in times of anxiety- which most homeschooling parents experience!
Kelly George’s insights and writings are a fabulous resource. Even if you don’t think you particularly need guidance, you are bound to find something helpful or inspiring! Find it HERE or grab it through the bundle sale!
Disclaimer: The suggestions, views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in a resource we review belong solely to the content creator, and not necessarily to Secular Homeschooler or any of its team members. We review for secular content and relevance to the homeschooling community. Authors, companies, businesses, and other content and service providers never pay to be reviewed. They instead provide free content or access to be reviewed by the Secular Homeschooler team or a member of the community. Oftentimes the content was previously purchased by the reviewer or borrowed from a resource center. If you’d like your resource reviewed please contact us and we’ll add it to our queue!